Guttering systems are not thought about much until something happens to go wrong with them.
When these problems so occur, such as blockages and leaks, it is sometimes a costly repair. However, with a little gutter maintenance you could save yourself a load of money.
There are many roofing contractors and guttering experts out there, but they won’t carry out gutter maintenance for free (unless they are really good friends). Therefore, many people choose to attempt their own gutter maintenance. As qualified roofing and guttering experts, we feel it is our duty to provide you with the tips and advice on how to go about cleaning your gutters safely and efficiently.
What you will need:
- A ladder
- A bucket
- 2 pair of gloves (1 pair will be OK, but two will be extra protection)
- A trowel
- A sink unblocking wire
- A hosepipe that reaches up to the roof
Steps to take when cleaning the gutter:
- Put the ladder to the appropriate height and ensure it is properly secure (see our ladder safety blog)
- Make sure you have your gloves on and begin with climbing the ladder and removing any leaves, twigs and large objects that may be blocking the flow of water.
- Once all the larger obstructions have been removed, it’s time to use the trowel to remove wet and smaller debris. When scooping out the mess, be sure to have your bucket nearby and careful not to spill any “sludge”. The debris can cause a great mess on windows and may contain sharp objects that could hurt anyone towards the ground.
- Now the gutter is clear from debris, you must check the downpipe. This step is often forgot about but it is just as likely the downpipe could be blocked. This is where the sink wire comes into use, as you can use it to clear any blockages in the downpipe.
- When the downpipe is given the all clear, you are now good to flush the guttering and downpipe system with the hosepipe. If you move the ladder to the point that is furthest away from the downpipe, then get someone to turn the water on, you will be able to flush away any remaining residue. You should now have yourself a clear guttering system, bravo!
Here at Dalton Roofing, we are here for you if don’t fancy clearing your gutters yourself, refer to our guttering pages in Rotherham, Chesterfield, Sheffield and the Peak District for more information.